- March 24, 2021
Slow Cooked Beef & Guinness Stew with Wild Garlic & Roast Carrot Dumplings
Spring in Ireland marks the arrival of an abundance of delicious, fresh seasonal produce. One of these is Wild Garlic. Sprouting in moist woodlands with a pretty white flower, this versatile plant can be used in everything from soups, salads, bread, butter and most popularly, pesto.
A walk through the Irish woodlands in spring is not complete without the delectable smell of Wild Garlic.
An Irish Staple
A beef stew is synonymous with Ireland. When travelling through Ireland (Oh we can’t wait!), no matter the time of year or where you go , you can guarantee to find a Beef Stew on a menu!
This slow cooked Beef & Guinness Stew with Wild Garlic dumplings combines a number of Irish ingredients to create a rich and delicious dish.
- 6 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 4 1/2 lb Lean Beef Stew Meat
- 3 teaspoons of Coarse Salt
- 3 teaspoons of Black Pepper
- 6 tablespoons of Flour
- 12 large Rooster Potatoes, largely diced
- 9 large Carrots, peeled and diced into 3 inch pieces
- 6 large Parsnips, peeled and diced into 3 inch pieces
- 3 1/2 large Red Onion, chopped
- 1 head of Celery
- 6 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of Tomato Paste
- 4 litres of Beef Stock
- 1 large bottle of Guinness Extra Stout
- Coarse Salt & Ground black Pepper to taste
- Wild Garlic
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat & turn on your slow cooker.
- In a 180 C oven, place 3 carrots with some garlic & seasoning & roast until soft.
- Prepare your beef by tossing it with salt, pepper & enough flour to coat. Add to your heated pan & cook until all sides are browned. Approximately 8 minutes.
- While beef is browning, add potatoes, remainder of the carrots, parsnips, onion, garlic and tomato paste to slow cooker. Stir to coat with paste.
- Add browned beef, beef stock and Guinness to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook stew on high for 3-4 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- For the dumplings, steam 3 potatoes and mash together with the roasted carrots adding butter, seasoning and some wild garlic. Combine with flour to make a ball.
- With 30 minutes remaining, add dumplings to stew in slow cooker and allow them to soak up flavours.
- Season to taste & serve.
*Dish serves 12 people. Beef stew will keep in the freezer but dumplings are not suitable for freezing