By therightcateringco on August 30, 2017 in Recipes
Crispy Baked Patatas Bravas topped with smoky salsa brava and garlic aioli.
- 2 and a half pounds yukon gold potatoes, cut into a ¾ inch dice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup olive oil
- chopped parsley (for garnish, optional)
For Salsa Brava
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 spanish (sweet or yellow) onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons spanish smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- a few dashes of hot sauce (to taste)
For Garlic Aioli
- ¼ cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, grated or pressed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the potatoes
- Place a large baking sheet in cold oven and preheat oven to 500 degrees.*
- Add baking soda and salt to a pot of water and bring to a boil. When boiling, add potatoes, cover, and bring back to boil. As soon as water is boiling, set a timer for 1 minute. After potatoes have been boiling for one minute, drain in a colander.
- Return potatoes to pot and stir for 30 seconds, then add ¼ cup olive oil, salt and pepper, stir to make sure potatoes are fully coated.
- Carefully remove hot baking sheet from oven and pour potatoes onto the hot baking sheet, arranging them in a single layer.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven and use a spatula to flip the potatoes, then return to the oven for another 15-25 minutes, or until potatoes are golden and crispy.
For the Salsa Brava
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until soft and golden, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add tomatoes, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper and hot sauce, stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer on low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- If you want, you can leave the sauce chunky, or if you would like it smooth as I did, transfer to a food processor to puree. Allow sauce to cool a bit before pulsing in food processor.
For Garlic Aioli
- Add mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic to a bowl and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Drizzle salsa brava and garlic aioli over potatoes. Top with fresh chopped parsley for garnish if desired.